Update on the Town of Sunol Fire Suppression Project for the weeks of November 24 and December 1, 2014
The majority of the work within the Town has been completed. However, there is some work left to be done.
Construction Currently Underway or Planned for the Next 2 weeks
Pipeline connections at Sunol Glen School
Pipeline connections will be made between the new and old systems at the Sunol Glen School Parking lot the week of December 1st. We will minimize any impacts to the school. The water supply to the town and school will not be affected.
Service Connection Upgrades
As part of this project, SFPUC crews, together with our contractor, will inspect selected service connections of SFPUC customers. The service connection consists of the section of pipe between the water meter box and the street main which is maintained by the SFPUC. Should the inspection show the connection needing an upgrade, we will schedule a replacement and notify the property owner.
The connections on Main Street will be first, with inspections starting the week of Thanksgiving.
Installation of bollards around fire hydrants
In order to protect some of the newly installed hydrants from accidental damage from vehicles, we will install bollards around the more exposed hydrants after the week of December 8th. These bollards will conform with Alameda County Fire Specifications.
Installation of one of the two replacement tanks on tank hill continues. Work on the tanks on the hill will continue through next summer.
Once all the construction work within town is complete, we will work with Alameda County inspectors, repair street structural damage caused by the construction, and slurry seal Main Street.
The Jack and Bore work to lay pipe underneath the Union Pacific Railroad on Main Street was
What has been completed to date:
- Installation of approximately 2 miles of transmission mains on Main St, Bond St, Foothill East and West and Kilkare Road.
- Placement of all of the 26 planned fire hydrants.
- Placing pipe across three bridges: Bond, Foothill, and Kilkare
- Removal of two water tanks on Tank Hill.
- Pipeline tie in work at Kilkare Road
- Jack and Bore Crossing of Alameda County Railroad at the intersection of Main Street, Kilkare Road, and West Foothill Road.
- Jack and Bore crossing under the Union Pacific Railroad on Main Street.
- Pipeline Tie in work on Main Street near Bond
What is coming:
- The new hydrants will be charged and ready for use.
- The new water storage tank on Tank Hill will be placed in service during the next 3 months.
- Thereafter, a pair of older water storage tanks will be demolished
- and construction will start on the second water storage tank.
As always, please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, comments, or concerns.
24-hour Answering Line:
Thank you for your patience!