Monday, October 10, 2011
Calaveras Dam Replacement Project Update
Road Closure Update
We have received permission from Alameda County to temporarily close Calaveras Road south of Geary to the Alameda/ Santa Clara County Line for two separate periods
- The first two-month road closure, initially planned for fall 2011 is now planned for early 2012.
- The second road closure is expected in late 2012/early 2013 for a period of 18 months.
- Calaveras Road will remain open on weekends, but will be closed Monday-Friday during these periods.
- Access to the Sunol Wilderness will remain open
from the north at all times and from both the north and south on weekends.
- Emergency vehicles will have access to the road at all times.
- The roads will be swept clean of debris prior to weekend openings.
Calaveras Dam – Controlled Detonation
The contractor will be using controlled detonation to produce the hard rock required for construction of the dam. To excavate the foundation of the dam, we may encounter rock that is too hard for our machinery, in which case we may also use controlled detonation. You may hear the detonation or feel minor vibrations from the activity. If you would like to receive an email notification beforehand, please contact Maria Le at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any additional questions or concerns, call our 24-hour answer line at (866) 973-1476.